Sunday, December 30, 2007

Planting on December 30!



This morning jonesing for some garden action, I swung by Shoal Creek Nursery and Lowes to see if there was anything interesting or inspiring. SCN had some bluebonnet bedding plants which I briefly considered for the front. But I’ve had such heartbreak with bloobs in the past and let’s face it, they belong in a meadow not an urban border.


At Lowes I bought four more Rainbow Knockouts for the sidebed. I may have a serious addiction here. This plant makes me happy. Love, loave, LURVE the color, even the rosehips are divine.
Spent the afternoon playing scrabble and Blokus on the deck with daughter, her BF and his pal. They finally left to go play Chicken Bingo at Ginny’s Little Longhorn and I immediately got busy planting.

This space is just a rectangle sandwiched between the deck and some paving and the wood privacy fence, where my neighbor’s English ivy creeps over. I like the fact that it will be a display spot you can gaze down on from the deck. In my Vale house the yard was so big that you really couldn’t see the perimeter beds from the house or patio. Now that I’ve got the roses situated, I need to figure out some kind of edging, either liriope or maybe miniature boxwoods since the space is so angular. I’m not sure how big the roses will get, so I’ll have to go slow on adding fill-in plants. I have a beautiful pale pink salvia at Vale that would be lacey and pretty amongst the roses.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't it great to be planting in December? Love it. I'm so behind. Last week was a bit too windy for me. We really have different takes on the subject of bluebonnets in the garden. They are a staple of my garden in March and I couldn't imagine spring without bluebonnets.

If this hadn't been a really bad fall for them, I'd offer you some seedlings. I usually have a lot but this year it was too dry in September and October so not many sprouted.

Libby at Aurora Primavera said...

Melissa
That's just me rationalizing my dissappointing failures. I've never had any luck getting bluebonnets to take hold. Once burned, I pretty much give up on a plant. Even more than bluebonnets, I crave a patch of pink evening primrose, but have never been able to achieve.

Anonymous said...

I guessed as much--which is why I offered the seedlings (well, maybe next year when I have some). It's easier to take a chance on free plants.