Tuesday, May 13, 2008

And you thought scent strips were bad...

Grace and Lilacs

Grace sent me a picture of her most recent oil painting, a self-portrait with lilacs, though I think she just wanted to torture me with news that the lilacs are out everywhere in Providence. This is a total fragrance sensation I've never managed to catch on my trips to Little Rhody. Meanwhile on the Smellorama front, the Washington Post reported:

NTT Communications announced it's running a ten-day trial starting April 10 of its new Mobile Fragrance Communication service (Kaori Tshshi Mobile), the mobile version of a service, which in Japan is already used in homes and movie theaters. A downloaded fragrance signal is sent from your cell phone to a base station that will emit the scent.

The story goes on to mention something called a "fragrance playlist", or what we normally refer to as "migraine trigger." Maybe the day of online scratch'n'sniff is closer than we think. File that under Be Careful What You Wish For, a folder already tediously overstuffed.

4 comments:

cotedetexas said...

What a cute story! Migraine trigger = I've had a lifetime of those - my husband gets 2 0r 3 migraines a week!!!!

Thanks for the comment!!
JOni

Anonymous said...

Great painting and, yes, the lilacs are in bloom even here in the countryside of RI. Are you packing yet?

Libby at Aurora Primavera said...

Layanee: I have not started packing; too busy @ work. It's so exciting; graduation + engagement party. Grace thinks it will be raining whole w/end. I want to take my sister to Cliff Walk; she's never been to the area. Too much to do! Ack.

herself said...

I love the term 'migraine trigger'.

I miss the lilacs, even though my allergies would be so bad I'd be teary eyed the whold time they bloomed.

I dread another source of cheap fragrance getting into the hands of the masses. Maybe it won't catch on?