Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Gathering of the greens


The Thanksgiving trip reaped its own bounty of garden treasures. While taking in the plantings around our condo, I noticed that the striped yucca was sending out pups into the lawn which were being routinely mowed down. So I dug up and brought back 6 of the chopped off plants, another variety for my front bed.
This one is giant starburst shape. In a few years, my front bed will be a health hazard of spikes, if not a burglar deterrent.


Then in Luling, we stopped at Castros, one of two fabulously funky and idiosyncratic fruit & vegetable stands that do business directly across the street from each other, selling produce, plants, and pots. This summer I bought a Knockout Rose for $15 in Luling, cheaper than I have seen them in Austin. This weekend they were $7, so I bought two more. I don't know where I'm going to put them.

1 comment:

Annie in Austin said...

So at that price you had to give in to the magenta after all? I've never bought a plant at that stand, but it's been a produce stop on the way home from Palmettos State Park.

Hi Kiwi - Pam at Digging let us know about your garden blog - your writing is wonderful and you're in my bloglines. I look forward to reading how the story of your "tropical Key West shanty" unfolds.

Mutabilis, and crinums and boxwood - oh, my!

Annie at the Transplantable Rose