Thursday, August 2, 2007

Good Vines and Bad Vines

At last the construction next door is finished. As he promised, Trey the Builder regraveled my driveway and the privacy fence was installed. I immediately rushed to nearest Home Depot where I bought 4 large cross vines (two different varieties one of which is called Dragon Lady with darker and glossier leaves; the other Tangerine Beauty, with lighter leaves and is the more commonly seen).

Planted these along the privacy fence. I dearly hope these make it. I was unable to dig decent holes as the ground at this spot is severly impacted caliche. But I know that cross vines did well at my Rollingwood house, where they were situated in zero soil directly on top of bedrock limestone.

I have loved cross vines since I discovered them at Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center, growing on their large entryway pergolas. Cross vines are just about perfect: they are evergreen, seem to thrive on poor soil and little water, have a torrent of coral blossoms in early spring, and bloom now and then through the summer. Plus they mound up on their climbing supports in a lovely rumpled manner. They are the Rod Stewart of vines—rangey, casual, shaggy-maned, the "Thanks, I don’t need a comb, I look fine the way I am" all-time best vine in our repertoire. So I hope they do well.

The nonstop rain (10” or so) we had June-July were kind to my baby plantings. In the other fence picture you can make out, just barely, the crinum lilies which I transplanted in June and are already sending out new growth. I hope that within a few years they are a solid wall of green along the fence and I have pink blooms all summer--here on Aurora, there are no deer to eat the lilies.
This weekend I must do battle with another vine: rampant poison ivy. Grr.

No comments: