Monday, April 26, 2010

Austin, your sago palms called. They’d like you to cut them back.


Okay, let’s review: if a frond is brown it’s not going to resurrect itself. Cut off all the dead stuff and let the heart send out some new shoots. It’ll look better and we can all get some relief from the fugly brown crap. Thanks.

While you’re waiting for your sago palm to reboot, read Oliver Sack’s Island of the Color Blind, in which, among other things, he ruminates on his lifelong fascination with cycads, the family to which sago palms belong, and one of the most primitive forms of plant life.

2 comments:

Barbara said...

My sago palm is all brown and I am afraid it is dead, but I will cut it back like you said and we shall see.

Barbara

ConsciousGardener said...

I cut mine back...and boy does it look horrid. I hope the comeback isn't too weird.