Sunday, April 27, 2008

Speed racers, sure things, and glacial movement

It’s always fun to look at before/afters to see what’s working. Some plants just overperform despite my inept care, some things are no brainers like cosmos seed, and then other well-laid plans inch along at their own pace driving me mad with impatience.




New fence with crossvine newly planted, August 2007





Crossvine filling in, April 2008





Deck border where St. Augustine was growing, ripped up and turned into rose bed. October 2007





Deck border with Rainbow knockout roses, cosmos, verbena, and not yet blooming sunflowers, April 2008





Front before new bed was dug and edged in fall 2007. You can see the chinch bug-related grass decline. Hasta la vista, @#@!!% St. Augustine!





April 2008. This is going to take awhile before things fill in.

7 comments:

Annie in Austin said...

Wow, what a transformation in that front bed! The stone edging gives a lovely sort of picture frame effect to the view of your vintage house.

Edging-envy is a weed in my garden... I dream of bricks to blend with those on the house walls.

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

Anonymous said...

I love the gentle curve of your new front bed and it will fill in faster than you think! The rose bed looks very romantic and pretty in pink!

Anonymous said...

I love the gentle curve of your new front bed and it will fill in faster than you think! The rose bed looks very romantic and pretty in pink!

vertie said...

Beautiful. It's heartening to see how far you've come when it's hard to tell on a day-to-day basis.

Anonymous said...

I like your curvy front bed and its generous proportions. I bet it'll fill in quickly over the summer. Just wait till you compare spring and fall photos.

Karen said...

I love seeing transformations all of yours look lovely!

Lori said...

Oh, I love it. And the front bed is going to be spectacular! Annie mentioned having edging-envy, and I'm afraid I've succumbed as well!